The Mediterranean diet is a wonderful eating plan that is very effective for lowering blood pressure, cholesterol levels and cutting the risk of heart disease. It can also reduce the incidence of several types of cancer such as colon, breast and even prostate cancer. This plan is high in monounsaturated fats, micronutrients such as folate, antioxidants, and low in saturated fats and revolves its menus around the consumption of whole grains, fish, healthy oils and vegetables.
The Mediterranean diet does not contain many high Glycemic index foods and has many foods like whole grain pastas, fruit, and various kinds of beans which might be carbohydrates but also promote stable blood sugar levels. This eating plan is quite high in fat compared to other diets which promote weight loss or health benefits so you must watch your fat intake and keep it between 30 and 35% if you already have any health issues such as diabetes.
When trying this diet eat plenty of vegetables and fruits, olive oil, legumes, fish, stewed tomatoes, nuts, herbs and spices for flavour, lamb, whole grains and even a glass of wine. Finding ingredients you like in this bounty of choices should be pretty easy. The following salad is a wonderful mix of textures, colours and tastes and can be served topped with a nice piece of grilled fish or chicken. Try to find fresh herbs for the dressing if you can to maximize the flavours.
Grilled Vegetable and Sweet Potato Salad with Herbs
- 4 Peppers, (all colors) quartered and seeded
- 1 Zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 Small red onion, skinned and cut in half
- 2 Small plum tomatoes cut into quarters
- 4 Medium sweet potatoes cut into disks
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- ½ Bunch chives, chopped
- ½ Bunch parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsps Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss all vegetables except tomatoes in olive oil
- Grill vegetables until tender and lightly marked.
- Coarsely chop grilled vegetables and combine with rest of ingredients on a decorative platter.